At Henkel, we believe advancing diversity, equity and inclusion is the right thing to do for our people, communities and business - it is a key driver of creativity, innovation, and invention. The diversity of our employees, their backgrounds, experiences, talents, knowledge, creativity, and the appreciation of all their individual differences are the foundation of our company and the way we do business. Together, we get stronger with every step we take to create more united, equitable and inclusive workplace and world.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI)
Our holistic approach to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) spans multiple dimensions, including gender, race, ethnicity and internationality, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, and generations.
We are strongly committed to cultivating a workforce that mirrors the diversity of our customers, consumers and communities. As pioneers at heart for the good of generations, we are fostering an environment where everyone has the tools to be successful – at work and in the community. We are continuously learning and listening to identify barriers and implement programs and policies that will unlock opportunities that are accessible to all.
To help create a more inclusive, equitable future for all generations we are focused on three core areas: Increasing diverse representation, ensuring equal access to opportunities and education, and inspiring a sense of belonging so all employees feel empowered to bring their whole selves to work. We are steadfast in our journey to further embed diversity, equity and inclusion into every aspect of our business, from our company culture to our suppliers to society at-large. Customers demand it, employees deserve it.
Steven Essick, President Henkel North America
We care for society
While we have always strived for an inclusive environment at Henkel, we recognize there is much more to do to strengthen our own culture and communities to be truly respectful and appreciative of everyone. We know more must be done to ensure racial justice and equality within our society and internally.
We stand against discrimination of any kind that our employees or communities may face. As an organization, we commit to accelerate and further strengthen our internal diversity and inclusion programs to increase understanding, prevent racism and do our part to bring an end to racial injustice in our society.
We recognize that we cannot accomplish the equality we're seeking alone. Caring for communities is deep in our culture and we commit to taking action and supporting organizations that champion social justice, education and awareness.
Henkel has a strong legacy of doing our part to build strong communities around our operations, and to making the world a better place. We are proud of our employees in the U.S. and Canada for their caring spirit and encourage all our team members to continue to be leaders in activism, philanthropy, and community involvement - giving, advocating, and volunteering for positive change. In doing so, we all are inspiring others to participate alongside.
Leading by example: The Henkel Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) Council
Comprised of senior thought leaders representing all areas of our organization, the Henkel DEI Council is leading teams of employees to explore ideas and encourage involvement to develop and implement initiatives that will strengthen our culture, and spearhead change to embed DEI at a local level in our businesses and functions.
The DEI Council reflects Henkel's commitment and strategy to create a more diverse and inclusive culture. I am excited and proud to be part of that effort. By appointing leaders across the organization to participate in the council, it allows us to identify and develop custom solutions for each unit, while facilitating best practice sharing across the organization.
Chandra Coupet, Vice President Finance Henkel Beauty Hair Care Professional NA
Integrating DEI across our value chain
Fostering diverse perspectives: Employee Networks
Partnering for the good of generations
Volunteering to strengthen communities and society
Awards and Recognition
Our commitment to DEI extends across our business and entire value chain. This means prioritizing Supplier Diversity and linking high-performing diverse suppliers to the Henkel strategy to ensure an inclusive and dynamic supply base and support the growth of minority suppliers.
- We are actively involved in MBE (Minority Business Enterprise) mentoring, which includes guiding, coaching and providing encouragement to suppliers as well as engaging in supplier capability dialogue at opportunity fairs.
- We hold regular information sessions to further educate potential suppliers on ways to do business with Henkel, as well as ensure that a minority or women-owned business is included in Requests for Quotation (RFQs) where possible.
- In 2021, we purchased over $60M with women and minority-owned businesses. Read more Awards and Recognition.
Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) are voluntary, employee-led groups that focus on an area of interest and offer a platform for mentoring and career development. We have 17 ERGs in North America that represent multiple cultures and perspectives, provide advice, create safe spaces for dialogue, and advocate for positive change to build community inside and outside of Henkel. Areas of interest include:
- Asian American
- Black/African American
- Emerging Leaders
- LGBTQ+ - Pride
- Women's Leadership
- Women in IT
Henkel is committed to ensuring that everyone, regardless of background, has an equal chance to succeed. We believe in taking action, partnering and supporting organizations that champion social justice, education and awareness. We empower courageous engagement through:
- Establishing partnerships to strengthen our scholarship and internship programs focused on increasing access to quality education and job opportunities to help close the equity gap in society and business.
- Donating to organizations who advance social justice and advocate for access to education.
- Joining as members of organizations that provide education, networking and development opportunities.
When it comes to volunteering, we are united by our desire to help those around us. We believe everyone can make a difference for the good of generations by engaging with our community. We encourage our employees to display their caring spirit and advocacy by volunteering to empower community members, advance opportunity and create future leaders. Among the ways our employees get involved are:
- Through our Make an Impact Tomorrow (M.I.T) initiative, launched globally in 1998, employees can apply for grants of money or product donations to support charities and social initiatives that they are passion about in their local communities. Read below about examples of their projects celebrated on International Volunteer Day.
- As members of Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), employees join together to identify ways to support local community needs. A few examples include: the African American Alliance of Metro Detroit ERG in Michigan raises funds and has participated in the UNCF Walk for Education since 2012, and the Bridgewater Networking Organization for Women ERG in New Jersey raises funds for an organization that helps minority and underserved breast cancer patients. Read more below about Henkel's Corporate Citizenship.
2022 America's Best Employers for Diversity by Forbes
Henkel has been recognized by Forbes for the second year in a row as one of America's Best Employers for Diversity. The Best Employers for Diversity were chosen based on an independent survey of over 60,000 employees working for companies employing at least 1,000 people in their U.S. operations.
Corporate Equality Index 2022
Henkel has earned a 95 in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Corporate Equality Index, the nation's foremost benchmarking survey and report measuring corporate policies and practices related to LGBTQ+ workplace equality.
2022 Canada’s Top Employers for Young People
Henkel Canada is a 2022 winner of the Greater Toronto's Top Employers competition. This prestigious annual list of top employers is chosen based on criteria including training and skills development, community involvement and forward-thinking workplace policies.
2021 America’s Best-in-State Employers by Forbes
Henkel has been recognized on Forbes 2021 Best-In-State Employers list for the state of Connecticut. Selections were determined via an independent survey, fielded among approximately 80,000 Americans working for companies with more than 500 U.S. employees across 25 industry sectors.
2021 WayUp Top 100 Internship Programs
Henkel was recognized by WayUp, the leading platform for employers to recruit diverse, qualified talent, as one of the 100 best internship programs in the U.S. Companies were selected by a panel of industry expert judges and thousands of public votes.